Ocala’s first Federal Post Office and Courthouse, pictured above, was built in 1908 and was razed in 1965 after construction of a new facility. The old building could not be used for local government or school board offices because the structure was sinking and renovation costs were determined to be too high.
In 1961, a new 70,000 square foot Federal Building and Courthouse, shown below, was completed. When it opened, the new facility housed twelve federal agencies, including the U.S. District Court. In 1984 by a special act of Congress, the building was officially named the “Golden-Collum Memorial Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse” to honor veterans from Marion County who died in the Vietnam War. PFC Harold Golden, who died on November 8, 1965, was the first resident of Marion County to die in Vietnam, and Captain William Edward Collum, who died on April 23, 1971, was the last. Golden was 18; Collum was 21.
Although the U.S. Post Office has moved to new facilities, the building continues to house the Ocala Division of the U.S. District Court and other federal agencies.
For more information, you may wish to visit the following websites:
Middle District of Florida, U.S. District Court:
Middle District of Florida, U.S. Bankruptcy Court:
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit:
Supreme Court of the United States:
Florida Supreme Court:
Administrative Office of the United States Courts:
Federal Judicial Center:
The National Archives:
Federal Bar Association: www.fedbar.org (Click “Chapters” for Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa, and Southwest Florida pages)
The Florida Bar: www.floridabar.org (useful “Links” section)
Bar Associations with websites where the Court sits: