The Old Federal Courthouse, pictured above, is on the National Register of Historic Places. Completed in 1905, the building was designed by James Knox Taylor, the Supervising Architect of the United States Treasury in Washington, D.C who designed hundreds of public buildings. A Beaux Arts style building reflecting the classic roots of early twentieth century architecture, the building was originally designed for the U.S. Post Office, but also served as a courthouse and customhouse. From 1984 to 1998, this building was used exclusively to house the Tampa Division of the Middle District.
In 1998 the district court moved to a new, larger building two blocks north on Florida Avenue, the Sam M. Gibbons U.S. Courthouse. A Tampa attorney, Sam Gibbons fought on the beaches of Normandy and then served his country as a member of Congress for seventeen terms where he was recognized as a leader in free trade and protecting the elderly. Offering panoramic views from the upper floors of downtown Tampa and Tampa Bay, the Tampa courthouse houses the U.S. District Court and the U.S. Bankruptcy Court as well as the chambers of a judge of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.
For more information, you may wish to visit the following websites:
Middle District of Florida, U.S. District Court:
Middle District of Florida, U.S. Bankruptcy Court:
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit:
Supreme Court of the United States:
Florida Supreme Court:
Administrative Office of the United States Courts:
Federal Judicial Center:
The National Archives:
Federal Bar Association: www.fedbar.org (Click “Chapters” for Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa, and Southwest Florida pages)
The Florida Bar: www.floridabar.org (useful “Links” section)
Bar Associations with websites where the Court sits: