The George C. Young United States Courthouse and Federal Building (above) was completed in 1975 and housed the Orlando Division and its agencies until August 2007. Located in the central business district of Orlando, the building is named for one of the original District Judges of the Middle District, Judge George C. Young who served as Chief Judge from 1973 to 1981. Orlando’s first federal judge, Judge Young presided over many notable cases: the desegregation of area public schools, the acquisition of property for the Kennedy Space Center, and a number of high profile criminal cases, among others.
In August 2007, a new building (below) was completed to form a federal Judicial Complex built around a public park designed by landscape pioneer Dan Kiley. Enhancing the heart of downtown Orlando, the new courthouse replicates the tower from the 1941 Federal Building and Post Office. Its five-story atrium contains six large stained glass windows designed by acclaimed New York artist Al Held whose work has won many awards. Dedicated in September 2007, the new George C. Young United States Courthouse and Federal Building is occupied by the Orlando Division of the Middle District and its agencies. The U.S. Bankruptcy Court will occupy the former courthouse building when renovation is complete.
For more information, you may wish to visit the following websites:
Middle District of Florida, U.S. District Court:
Middle District of Florida, U.S. Bankruptcy Court:
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit:
Supreme Court of the United States:
Florida Supreme Court:
Administrative Office of the United States Courts:
Federal Judicial Center:
The National Archives:
Federal Bar Association: www.fedbar.org (Click “Chapters” for Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa, and Southwest Florida pages)
The Florida Bar: www.floridabar.org (useful “Links” section)
Bar Associations with websites where the Court sits: